Kat's Walks

This started as a blog to chronicle some of the more interesting walks I had done - mainly around London. But now it's more of a holiday, party, general merriment blog - with plenty of photos.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Boat ride to Greenwich




I sometimes think we get more out of doing the London 'touristy' things than our friends do when they come to visit. I'm not sure why - maybe we just want to learn more about the city we live in, and see as much of it as we can. Whereas our visitors might just be happy to be out of Leeds/Ashton/Sussex and don't care which bridge is which spanning the Thames and who built it, and when!
Anyway - this week we took advantage of the unseasonably warm and sunny weather and took a couple of Andy's friends on a boat ride from Westminster to Greenwich.

It's about the fourth time I've done that particular 'cruise', and each time I learn something new. Although I was able to bore our guests with other trivial bits of London history along the way.

Sadly, as it was a Monday Greenwich market wasn't open, which is a shame because it's usually pretty good. So I made us all traipse up the hill through Greenwich Park to what I think is the best view of London. In the foreground you have the magnificent National Maritime Museum and Royal Naval College, with the Millennium Dome to the right. And you can follow the river miles out to the west - as far as the Post Office tower and St Paul's Cathedral.



1 Comments:

At 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home