Kat's Walks

This started as a blog to chronicle some of the more interesting walks I had done - mainly around London. But now it's more of a holiday, party, general merriment blog - with plenty of photos.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Hammersmith-Putney

When I originally started this blog it was mainly to document the walks I was doing around London - with silly bits of trivia, a few photos and anything interesting I saw along the way.
Well, today I went on one of my favourite walks - from Hammersmith to Putney and back, along the river. It also happens to be right on my doorstep, so no traveling halfway across London first.

I think Hammermsith Bridge is my favourite in London. It looks much more spectacular at night when it's lit up - but it always appears very grand and ornate.




I walked to Putney on the Hammermsith side, which is more urban - with landmarks like the Riverside Studios.




It's been used for decades to record TV and radio shows. Perhaps it's most recently remembered when, in the 1990s, it was home to TFI Friday.

Also along this stretch is one my favourite pubs: The Dove.

















The snug in there holds a very cosy maximum of about seven - it has a fabulous roaring fire and has been frequented by many famous artists, actors and authors over the years.
Further on is the home of Fulham Football Club, at Craven Cottage.












After walking through Bishop's Park and Fulham Palace Gardens, I crossed over Putney Bridge for the return leg. Mostly it's just rowing clubs.




While there are slightly fewer joggers than the other side of the river, there are noticeably more dog walkers as its a very rural stretch, with Barne Elms to the left for much of the towpath. That is until you come to what's now called Harrod's Village -













gorgeous apartments in the stunningly renovated Harrod's Furniture Depositry.
Then it's back over Hammersmith Bridge and home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home